28 February 2012

Miss Peregrine and art in marketing?

So, I'm not usually impressed with book trailers. Too often they're not well done, low-budget and cheesy. But this one, possibly in part because it's for a book I already know is fantastic, struck me as unusually good. I think it takes advantage of the movie-trailer shtick (as well it should, as it seems like everyone's interest is automatically caught when you play a movie trailer, even if the movie is awful) without sacrificing its general bookishness, if that makes any sense.




More and more these days, I'm realizing there's a real art to marketing. It's not just about targeting potential buyers and coming up with hokey catchphrases and doing a lot of boring paperwork. Years ago, a professor of mine suggested I look into learning it, and I thought she was joking at the time, but now? I may just. If nothing else, I bet it's lucrative.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on that. Happy Tuesday, and thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. 1. I actually just bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children today. The trailer makes it feel a bit like Lost, even if it's not the case. I have no idea; John Green's been raving about the book and it seemed fascinating.

    2. I'm new to this whole book trailer thing, too, but The Fault in Our Stars has a really good one. It's also a lot shorter. Have you seen many, and do they have an average time?

    3. Do you have Skype? It's been ages since we've last talked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It IS fascinating. You should let me know what you think of it, after you've read it; I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a big fan of several things in the surreal/magic realism genre, and this sort of fits into it.

    2. I don't know about an average time for book trailers - I imagine they work on a similar philosophy as most other commercials? Or shorter, even; I'm assuming most trailer-viewers are like me and I know if I'm watching a commercial that goes much longer than a minute, it starts to feel 'long' - but I saw one for a book I really do love, "Welcome to Bordertown", and I was disappointed by how (in my eyes) low-budget and slow it felt. I think trailers for books is still a pretty new concept, so it's understandable that there'd be a learning curve, but still. We all consume so much mass media, shouldn't it be relatively easy to understand what works and doesn't?

    3. I do, and we should definitely chat! I'll message you my username. As you can tell by my above ramblings, I'd love to talk:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, if only for proof that I'm not just talking to myself.

As always, feel free to say whatever you like - criticism, questions, suggestions, whatever. The best part of blogging is the conversations that come from YOU.