31 January 2012

an experiment

So, a couple of posts ago, I talked about how I'm writing short stories this year. Well, right now I'm working on something that shows all the signs of turning into a novella (much against my will, mind you), and a couple of experimental things that, for lack of a better term, I'm calling text message stories.

Here's the first section of one. At the moment, it's called "P + E: A Love Story In Text Messages." If you read it, please let me know what you think! I haven't decided whether I'll finish it, but so far it's been fun and easy to write.
Thanks for reading, friends.


***

From: P
To: E
Hey Emily, this is Peter from last night – we met in the kitchen – just wanted to let you know, you left your sweater here.

From: E
To: P
Sorry, who? Are you the blonde guy with the pecs? ;)

From: P
To: E
No. That’s my roommate.

From: E
To: P
Oh.
The green one?

From: P
To: E
What?

From: E
To: P
The sweater.

From: P
To: E
Oh, sorry. Yeah. The sweater’s green. It’s nice.

From: E
To: P
Great! Thought I lost it on the train. I can come get it this weekend?

From: P
To: E
I can bring it to you. I don’t mind. I’ll be in your part of town tomorrow and I need to go to the bank anyway.

From: E
To: P
How do you know I work at the bank?
And how did you get my number, anyway?

From: P
To: E
You said. Last night. You said you just started.
And I got your number from my roommate.

From: E
To: P
Really? …sorry. I must’ve been pretty smashed.
I forgot I gave it to him.
He hasn’t called.

From: P
To: E
It’s okay.
So, when should I come by?

From: E
To: P
My lunch is at 1. Is that OK?

From: P
To: E
It’s perfect.
Ttyl. I’ll text you when I get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, if only for proof that I'm not just talking to myself.

As always, feel free to say whatever you like - criticism, questions, suggestions, whatever. The best part of blogging is the conversations that come from YOU.